Monday, February 6, 2012

Salmon and prawns in crust

Using 500g of flour and 250g of butter I made the pastry. Some cookbooks say to use your fingers to make a breadcrumb-like mixture. I use a spoon and it always comes out fine. I even melt the butter a little in the microwave. Pastry is supposed to stay cold.

Anyway, once you have the breadcrumb mixture add cold water slowly until you can make a ball that's not sticky and well formed. I usually make pastry the day before I need it and keep it in the fridge.

If the salmon has skin on remove it. I always soak fish in lemon and salt before I cook it and added the prawns to also remove the raw taste.

After the fish has been in the lemon and salt for about 20 minutes rinse it very well. Remember not to add anymore salt to the dish as the fish will already have some salt residue on it.

Roll out the pastry into a rectangular shape. It has to be long enough to fit the salmon it. Place the salmon along one side of the pastry, put the prawns on top and along the side. At this point I would normally add breadcrumbs to help soak up any juices produced by the fish but I forgot.
Flour and butter

Mix the flour and butter together

Add water

Form into a ball and chill

Skin the fish

Add lemon and salt

Roll out the pastry

Place the fish and prawns on the pasty

Brush with egg
Next sprinkle parsley, garlic and black pepper on top of the fish. Brush beaten egg around the edge of the pastry.  Fold the pastry over the fish and pinch the edges to seal in the fish. Brush the pastry with egg and bake for about 30 minutes at 160 degrees.

We ate the salmon with potato wedges made by husband (just cut potatoes into wedges add a pinch of salt, mixed herbs and a sprinkle of paprika) and salad.

Cooked!

Our dinner tonight

Raspberry tart
There was some pastry left over so I made a raspberry tart.

No comments:

Post a Comment